2009/03/16

Teachers on Facebook?

"What do you think about Facebook?"  asked me a friend of mine, who is a teacher in a high school. I answered: 'It is a tool, nothing more, nothing less than a tool. It can be useful and at the same time you can do lot of nonsense with it. You can lose a lot of time, you can save a lot of time. It depends on you. I have a profile on Facebook. When I registered, I asked myself: what is it for? Later I was surprised because I found a lot of old classmates and friend that now are living so far from me and I had the opportunity to stay in touch again. Now I’m trying to find the best way to use it." 
I know the the real reason of her request, because I had already discussed about that with another friend, who is a teacher too. She’s suspicious about Facebook, not for the characteristics of the tool itself but because some collegues of hers use of in a way that she judge improper.

 I do not want to investigate the matter, because I’m not the right person to do that. I respect the position of the teachers who decide not to have a profile because they don’t want to get involved in strange relationships with their students, and I imagine that those who decide to have a profile are motivated by good intentions.

I would rather to submit you the opinion of my husband, who commented as follows: given that Facebook is used by students, I think that teachers should have a profile themselves and be educators also on Facebook, showing a “good” style, a “good” way to use it. Even a profile on Facebook and its use may be a way to be an example. 
Articles alarmed and alarming that reveal the destructive potential of social networking makes frankly me laugh. And I ask myself: aren’t we capable of discretion? Has our reason been sucked by the cyberspace? Or it never existed? If a technology is able to control myself I do not think that the problem lies in technology, but in my weakness. The real problem is not that young people use Internet, but the fact of having or not ahead of them adults who are really adults, credible witnesses of a way of being interesting, beautiful, good; people who walk through their life with their limits and their virtues, conscious of that and constantly working to improve themselves and the rest of the world, even through Facebook.

No comments: